From Capitol Fax:
People have been arguing for years that cold primary weather helps the Machine. But some of Speaker Madigan’s House Democrats got in real trouble in the February 2010 primary because they didn’t campaign enough in the cold weather, so Madigan moved the date back to March. People are on vacation in the summer months, spend more time outside and are therefore less connected to news, so I’m not sure how a summer primary makes things harder on the Machine.
Everybody believes they have a magic bullet to ending Machine politics, and a later primary is one that’s always touted. I seriously doubt it’ll work. Louisiana’s primary is a month before the general election. Yet, that state isn’t exactly a model of political cleanliness.
- April 17, 2012 Madigan: IL pension amendment ‘tough medicine’
- August 21, 2012 IL: GOP smear efforts against Madigan could be ‘a swing and a miss’
- April 24, 2012 As industry considers Illinois oil, lawmakers consider taxing it
- September 6, 2012 NetRightDaily Must Reads
- June 21, 2012 ‘Southern Illinois lawmakers say prison closures will affect elections’
- May 18, 2012 Illinois school chief warns of possible cuts to general state aid for schools
- April 26, 2012 ‘Special committee may subpoena indicted Illinois lawmaker’
- May 31, 2012 Tempers flare as House lawmakers debate Illinois budget
- May 25, 2012 Illinois eavesdropping reform bill in political limbo
- May 18, 2013 AlterNet Headlines: The Real Obama Scandal: Climate Inaction | America’s Protestant Civil War | Popular Uprisings the Media Is Ignoring